Ecotourism Planning, Product Development and Marketing
- CARIBBEAN ECOTOURISM/SUSTAINABLE TOURISM GREEN MANAGEMENT WORKSHOP SERIES, BAHAMAS (1997/1998)
- Commonwealth Secretariat (London)
- Bahamas Ministry of Tourism
Seven workshops were held for participants from the 11 Commonwealth Caribbean Nations. More than 350 delegates attended including national tourism directors, general managers of major Caribbean Hotel Chains (Club Med., Marriott, Radisson, etc.) secondary and post secondary educators. One session was devoted to a 12-day train-the-trainer program.
In 1998, the series was given the prestigious Green Globe Achievement Award, at ITB-Berlin and in 1999 the series was selected as one of the "Best Practices" by the World Travel and Tourism Human Resource Council.
- EXUMA MARINE ECOTOURISM PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT and RESOURCE MANAGEMENT WORKSHOP, EXUMA, BAHAMAS (1999)
- Government of the Bahamas
- Benjamin Foundation
- The Nature Conservancy-University of Florida
- UNESCO-Ministry of Education
Following the preparation of the Elizabeth Harbour Marine Resource Management Strategy, a 5-day community based ecotourism workshop was designed and developed for existing and future operators, College of the Bahamas educators, resort owners, University of Florida researchers, environmentalists and residents. The focus was on the planning, development and marketing of ecotourism products identified in the Marine Resource Management Strategy.
- BRASIL SUSTAINABLE TOURISM AND ADVANCED ECOTOURISM TRAIN-THE-TRAINER PROGRAM, INTERVALES, BRASIL (16 Days, 1996)
- Conservation International (Washington, DC)
- EcoBrasil (Sao Paulo)
ecoplan:net ltd. was commissioned to work with the trainees from the 1994 12-day Ecotourism Train-the-Trainer program to provide an introductory session on sustainable tourism and an advanced ecotourism training program. The course was given to many of the previous students as well as those that had taken the training program offered by the Brazilian trainers and who now have established businesses.
- INTERPRETATION CANADA: ECOTOURISM PLANNING WORKSHOP (3 Days, 1995)
- Interpretation Canada
- Canadian Park Service
James facilitated an intensive 3-day training session for 50 interpretive officers from across Canada and northern US who were attending the annual Interpretation Canada Conference. Special emphasis was placed on the educational values of ecotourism and the role of interpretive services.
- HAWAIIAN ECOTOURISM PLANNING WORKSHOP, KONA (5 Days, 1995)
ecoplan:net ltd. was hired by Pacific Rim Conferences of Hawaii to conduct the states first ecotourism seminar. More than 45 operators, politicians, academics and government representatives attended the sessions in Kona. This seminar was planned as an introduction to a series of workshops offered by ecoplan:net ltd. as part of the 5-year Eco 2000 program.
- Pacific Rim Conference Limited (Kona)
- ATLANTIC CANADA ECOTOURISM/SUSTAINABLE TOURISM & GREEN MANAGEMENT WORKSHOP (1995)
- Travel Industry Assoc. of Nova Scotia
- White Pine Beach Resort Inc.
ecoplan:net ltd. conducted a 5-day workshop in Nova Scotia for 130 participants from Atlantic Canada. Emphasis was placed on the relationship between ecotourism product development and the green management of tour operations and facilities. There was a special focus on Marine based ecotourism and resort / ecolodge development.
- SOUTH AFRICA ECOTOURISM SEMINARS AND WORKSHOPS - CAPE TOWN and TRANSVAAL (1994)
ecoplan:net ltd. was commissioned by SATOUR (the South Africa Tourist Board) to design and deliver 2, 5-day Ecotourism Planning and Product Development seminars in the Transvaal and Cape Town Regions. Participants came from adjacent countries (Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe), and a Southern Africa Ecotourism Council was established during the workshops.
- South Africa Tourism Board
- MADAGASCAR FIRST NATIONAL ECOTOURISM SYMPOSIUM - FIANARATSOA (1993)
- The Ecotourism Society (TES)
- US Agency for International Development
James designed and directed Madagascar's first 6-day ecotourism symposium and case study analysis. The 100 delegates including several senior government ministers used Ranamafana National Park as an example for ecotourism product development and marketing.
- LABRADOR: AN OUTLOOK FOR THE '90 CONFERENCE
- Government of Newfoundland/Labrador
- Memorial University, Goose Bay
James provided a 1-day workshop on the role of ecotourism and adventure travel on the Labrador economy. Social, economic and environmental impacts were assessed.
- OREGON GOVERNOR'S TOURISM CONFERENCE (1992 & 1993)
- Governor of Oregon and the Office of Economic Development
For 2 consecutive years, the State of Oregon invited James to conduct ecotourism planning workshops, based on an abbreviated format of the Ecotourism Strategic Planning Workbook.
- PROVINCE OF NEW BRUNSWICK OUTDOOR RECREATION AND ECOTOURISM SYMPOSIUM - CAMPBELLTON, NEW BRUNSWICK (1993)
- Tourism New Brunswick
ecoplan:net ltd. facilitated the first provincial ecotourism workshop which resulted in the identification of new product as well as the preparation of the first provincial level ecotourism definition in Canada.
- COSTA RICA INTERNATIONAL BIODIVERSITY CONFERENCE - SAN JOSE, COSTA RICA (1992 and 1993)
- Canadian Museum of Nature (Ottawa)
- Canadian Centre for Biodiversity Management
ecoplan:net ltd. worked in collaboration with the Canadian Centre for Biodiversity Management to conduct several workshops on the role of ecotourism in the protection of biodiversity resources in Costa Rica. Emphasis was placed on developing products that provided environmental education and contributed to minimizing the impact of tourism on Costa Rica's resources.
- INTERNATIONAL WINTER CITIES CONFERENCE - YELLOWKNIFE, NWT (1993)
- Winter Cities Association
James conducted workshops on ecotourism planning for remote and northern regions with a particular emphasis on aboriginal tourism opportunities.
- PHILIPPINE NATIONAL TOURISM CONFERENCE (1992)
- Conservation International (Washington and Manila)
- Philippines Department of Tourism
The 1992 National Philippine Tourism Congress focused on the ecoplan:net ltd. Ecotourism Strategic Planning Workshop which was facilitated by James and Leslie Jarvie. More than 175 people attended the program. A parallel workshop on 'Green Management for the Travel Industry' was facilitated by Robert Boyle.
- BANFF CENTRE FOR MANAGEMENT ECOTOURSISM PLANNING AND PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM, BANFF, ALBERTA, (1990 to 1995)
- Banff Centre for Management, Alberta
James was commissioned in 1989 to design and deliver Canadas' first ecotourism training program which attracted participants from across Canada, the US and South/Central America. During the 5 years the program grew from a 2-day session, given once a year to a 5-day program offered twice annually. More than 300 participants attended the series and many developed their own tourism businesses as a result of the training process.
- SASKATCHEWAN ECOTOURISM PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT (1994)
- Saskatchewan Watchable Wildlife Association
- Anderson/Fast Associates
ecoplan:net delivered a weekend workshop on ecotourism development as a component to the Saskatchewan Ecotourism Development Strategy. The workshop emphasized the values of market analysis and the use research to develop ecotourism product. Participants represented numerous sectors including hoteliers and sport fishing and hunting outfitters.